Saturday, May 19, 2018

Fear and choice

We are afraid as human beings. I know I am constantly in some shifting state of a greater or lesser degree of fear. Some of the things we are afraid of are instinctual, but in our society I think a whole lot of it is learned. And we learn to be afraid, afraid to show up without filters, afraid to be genuine, afraid to trust, afraid of being judged, afraid to feel and afraid to express our truth. Then on top of this fear we have around us we also get told we aren't "supposed" to be afraid. We get told fear is weakness, it isn't evolved enough or that it means we aren't good enough because we are afraid.

A couple days ago I was talking about faith... Faith just is all day everyday, having faith isn't in question here the question is what do we have faith in? How we think and feel, and act in the world is at its core coming from what we believe to be true. Faith is inherent and yet, we always have the opportunity to choose again. So when we show up with fear whispering those unkind words or limited possibilities we have a choice here as well. Do we place our fath, our focus, our thoughts, our emotions, our perspective or our actions on this fear? Or... Do we just choose something else? Can we see from what place we are putting our faith in and decide to put it elsewhere?

For me, this means when I feel myself resisting doing, saying or being what I really want I acknowledge it is probably coming from this place of fear. Knowing it is coming from this place I then put choice on the table and I feed faith in possible, can, desire, and passion instead. Honestly, this practice is new to me. As I said at the beginning, I am in a state of fear to a higher or lesser degree most of the time. There are some moments, some days when I get pulled into a place where fear seems more logical or relevant than anything else. As a human being I am imperfect and I stumble or fall right on my ass. I am good with the slip ups and failings though as long as I keep trying.  We don't have to judge that fear, or condemn ourselves for it, we just place our faith in something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment