Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Joy

I watched a video just a little bit ago, a little boy dancing, and it lit my heart up. Two things were going on there. One, he had no filters, he was just letting loose and jiving to the music. Two, because he was just out there on the dance floor  free as a bird, everyone in the room with him was audibly happy watching him go. This kid was in a state of joy, he just was in one of those moments we have all had where time falls away, you are lit with life and everything that is unimportant drops off. We get those moments probably across the board pretty consistently as little kids and then when we fall in love as we get older. I was thinking, when was the last time most of us got out on the proverbial dance floor and danced our asses off? I mean really just dropped all idea of how we should look or do a thing and were just IN it? It really doesn't matter what that thing is, it could be dancing, maybe it is singing, or artwork, maybe you hit that sweet spot when you make a meal or tend a garden. When was the last time you just engaged something without setting limits on how it was "supposed" to look and just jumped in with both feet?

 I know I have a couple of things I have learned to cultivate over time to help quiet the mind and get myself into that place of just letting go. Yet, too often I find myself putting it off until more work gets done, my responsibilities are taken care of, dishes get  washed etc. Then, by the time I get done with all my "shoulds" I have either reached the end of my day or feel too tired to get in there and do that thing. But really, what the hell are we putting that stuff off for? The dishes can wait, why put off a moment to find a little joy for a thing that doesn't HAVE to be done right now? Mind you I am not saying  put it off indefinitely (don't be sarah cynthia sylvia stout for example) but also don't put your joy off indefinitely either.

We spend so much time in that place of doing what we think we must, of have to and should, those moments that allow us repose get lost in all this doing. I think I would like a life a little more balanced, a little more of the kind of joy having a new love come into my life brings me. I'd like to play more, and dance my ass off a little, and drop the pretenses of how I need to show up in this way too. I want to embrace a bit more joy in my life on a regular basis. I hope we can all find this kind of playfulness its own reason for being done, even if only for 20 or 30 minutes a day. Have an amazing day, go dance your proverbial dance off some place today!

No comments:

Post a Comment